We want to get married! Where do we start?

First off, congratulations! If you’ve reached my FAQs, you must be in the middle of planning for your big day. I’ll do everything I can to make it as smooth as possible for you. Please know that if you have any questions that aren’t covered below, you can email me to ask.

Before you get married, Australian law requires that you complete a Notice of Intention of Marriage. This document must be with me, your celebrant, no less than one month and no more than 18 months prior to your marriage ceremony.

If you are Australian born you must produce either your Australian passport, original Birth Certificate or authorised extract. If you were born overseas, your birth certificate is preferred, but your overseas passport will be accepted.

On your wedding day you will sign two Official Certificates of Marriage and the Commemorative Certificate. You will need to have two witnesses who are both over the age of 18 by your side.

What if I have been married before?

If you have been divorced, I need to sight proof of your divorce papers. If your previous spouse has passed away, then a death certificate needs to be shown. Either one of these documents must be produced before your marriage can take place.

If you got married overseas or in a registry office, but want to conduct a ceremony, we can still plan a day to celebrate your marriage with your nearest and dearest — only without the legal bits, as they will have been completed!

How long will the ceremony go for?

I suggest a ceremony between 25-30 minutes long, depending on the size of your Wedding Party, and if you’d like to include readings or rituals.

What will you be wearing?

I will do my best to complement the wedding party and reflect your dress code.

What about music?

You can organise live music, or you can choose to play music for your ceremony through my quality PA system. You’ll just need to give someone else the job of pressing the buttons, as I will be standing up the front with both of you!

Will you bring the readings for the ceremony?

Yes! I will have a printed copy, in large font, in my folder for your guests to read from. Don’t worry — I’ll show them what to do on the day.

How do I change my surname?

To change legally change your name, you will need to complete an offical Marriage Certificate form from Births, Deaths and Marriages. Once this is submitted, your certificate will arrive a few weeks after your wedding day via registers mail from Births Deaths and Marriages.

Once you have the official certificate, you then use this as proof that you are married in order to change all your legal identification — like your passport, the ATO, Medicare, etc. There is no time limit in which this needs to be done (but you might want to leave it until you’re back from your honeymoon!)

Would you travel interstate or even overseas for a wedding?

Yes! I am happy to travel throughout Australia and also internationally. Just contact me and I’ll let you know my schedule.

How far in advance should we book with you?

Ideally, three months notice. Send me an email and we can discuss your plans and my schedule.